Acupuncture for Fertility
Caroline Wardropper is a traditional acupuncturist with a specialist interest in Acupuncture for gynaecology, fertility and to accompany IVF. Caroline works with individuals and couples using acupuncture to support both male and female fertility.
Acupuncture may benefit fertility in many ways.
For women, it can help with:
- Regulating fertility hormones
- Reducing stress and anxiety. Stress can cause hormonal imbalances that can negatively impact fertility
- Increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs
- Increasing blood flow to the uterus and improves the thickness of the endometrial lining thus increasing the chances of embryo implantation
- Counteracting the effects of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Acupuncture has been shown to reduce the number of ovarian cysts, stimulate ovulation, enhance blastocyst implantation and regulate the menstrual cycle in women with PCOS
In men, it can help with:
- Increasing sperm motility (how fast the sperm swims)
- Increasing levels of the male sex hormone testosterone
- Lowering the temperature of the scrotum, creating a better environment for keeping them healthy
- Reducing stress and anxiety
Acupuncture can optimise natural fertility when trying to conceive or be used alongside other assisted reproductive techniques, such as IVF, ICSI or IUI.
Recent research from 2018 shows that acupuncture has a significant treatment affect in improving the birth rates of women undergoing IVF or ICSI, indicating that acupuncture can complement an IVF or ICSI cycle to give the best possible outcomes.